Search This Blog

Saturday 16 November 2013

World Diabetes Day 2013

I know I'm slightly late with my World Diabetes Day blog post...I've just been super busy with sixth form....and falling asleep on the sofa in the evenings. he he.


Anyway so as we all may or may not know it was World Diabetes Day on November 14th- or better known to those who use twitter as #WDD. It's the day that diabetics from all over the world come together and fundraise and raise awareness for diabetes. WDD falls on the birthday of Frederick Banting- the man who 90 years ago...became the reason that type one diabetes is no longer a death sentence. He is the very reason why I am still here able to fight this disease- he is the very reason why ALL of us diabetics are still here.

Isn't that amazing?
How one man literally saved so many lives, in his time and in the future- all of ours.

So before I continue this post, Happy belated birthday Sir Frederick Banting.

On Thursday I of course, went to sixth form wearing my JDRF shirt. I was sitting in the common room and then a girl from my year came in wearing a blue hoodie and said "I'm wearing blue for Ellie!" One small gesture like that made my day- it cheered me up and distracted me from the fact that I had dropped my phone in water that morning and it was out of action for the day.

 I didn't really promote the day that much in school because I just didn't have time, however I did post lots on facebook and twitter and it appears some of my friends paid attention to my post that stated "Wear blue for World Diabetes Day on November 14th!" which I was very happy about indeed.

I had no phone for the whole day so at school I asked my friend to use her phone to check twitter- I was checking the trends at 2 minute intervals- seriously. I wanted World Diabetes Day to trend so bad.

And guess what?!
It did!



I was so happy that I had to take a picture. Better yet, it was a worldwide trend- how cool is that? This was the first time I had seen it trend, it was so exciting.

Apart from all the amazing things people within the diabetic community were doing, famous landmarks and buildings were also busy lighting themselves up blue for world diabetes day.





Those are just a few examples of the buildings lit up. The London eye, The Blackpool tower, 10 Dowing Street, and to be honest I am not sure what the last one is but it's some sort of famous building.







It honestly touches my heart to see things like this, to see people coming together and uniting for diabetes. It's amazing. But more people still need to be made aware, most people still have no clue about diabetes and we need to educate them. We need to raise awareness and find a cure!

-Ellie
[Peace&Insulin]

1 comment:

  1. "Hi,
    I like your blog very much! It is found me so interesting and informative... Thanks very much for sharing this amazing information over here…"

    PIC Grant

    ReplyDelete